Follow the Winter home maintenance tips to lower utility bills and protect the home.
- Schedule a HVAC tune up to ensure the system is working to the maximum efficiency, and clean or replace furnace filter.
- Set the heat no lower than 55 degrees and open doors to unoccupied rooms.
- Repair damaged roof shingles for as low as $95 according to CostHelper.com.
- Inspect and if needed seal chimney and vent stack flashing.
- Caulk around windows and doors.
- To prevent damage to roofing, siding, and wood trim clean the gutters.
- Divert water by adding extensions to downspouts.
- Disconnect exterior hoses, turn off the water, and drain the pipes to avoid pipes freezing and bursting.
- Drain the sprinkler system.
- Wait to prune trees and shrubs until late Winter just before Spring growth.
- Make sure the sump pump is working properly by pouring several gallons of water into the sump pit and testing that it turns on. The lifespan of a sump pump is around 10 years.
- Stock salt or ice melt.
Blog article provided by Christina Cavins, a Nationally recognized Realtor with Irongate Inc. Realtors. Christina can be reached via email at ChristinaCavins@aol.com or by cell phone or text message at 1-937-205-4741. For Ohio real estate and homes see Ohio Real Estate.
Search homes for sale in the MLS (Multiple Listing Service) by visiting http://BuySellOH.com
Servicing the following towns and counties in Southwest OH: Beavercreek, Bellbrook, Centerville, Cincinnati, Dayton, Fairborn, Greene County, Huber Heights, Kettering, Miamisburg, Montgomery County, Oakwood, Springboro, Springfield, Warren County, Washington Township, West Carrollton, Wright Patterson Air Force Base (WPAFB), Xenia, and Yellow Springs.